Saturday, June 9, 2012

Trains, Planes, and Cars


About two weeks ago I went to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates because I had a crazy bad toothache. It was great fun. And also kinda sucked since I did have to visit the dentist and I like them about as much as I’d like to have my toes chopped off.

Dubai Adventure:

1. We need to rename the toothache to some terrible, fingernails on chalkboard-esque word.

Toothache Pain Scale Pre-toothache Experience:
10 – Bumped funny bone
5 – Toothache
1 – Scraped knee
Cure: Apply Pressure.
Thoughts: Suck it up and stop acting like you just birthed a child.

Actual Pain Scale of a Toothache:
10 – Chinese Water Torture
5 – Toothache
1 – Gunshot wound
Cure: Morphine
Thoughts: #@!% and other such obscenities.

Clearly, the word toothache just doesn’t wholly comprise that type of excruciating pain. A rename is needed.

2. I’d like to apologize. I was previously under the impression that it was part of a taxi driver’s job to know major locations within the city. My mistake. The drivers all asked me for directions. Do I turn here? Uhm any beach will do just drive in the general direction of water. Maybe, Dubai, we should consider ensuring drivers know how to get to a few general places. Nothing to crazy—just maybe the Dubai Mall, beach, and airport.

3. Apparently Mexican, French, and Swedish equals Afghani. I think everyone in Dubai asked if I was from Afghanistan. Pre-telling that I worked there. Guess its good to know I can blend in if needed. Although burkas seem to have the same effect.

4. I had the opportunity to stay in an amazingly nice 5 star hotel. Cool huh? Agreed. One night I didn’t want to leave my room to search for food. I decided to order room service something I’d previously never done.
·      I think they had to unscrew the wall sign in order to get me a menu
·      The man wouldn’t let me take the tray at the door. My room was messy and I got embarrassed. So I tried to close the door and clean it up real quick.
·      The lasagna was Shepherd’s Pie.

5. A few other things that happened. I walked about 4 miles in the crazy hot heat because I didn’t think it was important to tell my bank I’d be in another country. Turns out it is. A kind man from the gas station I asked directions at rescued me. I missed my airplane. Technically there was still an hour before it took off but the girl was following rules. Boo. I ate Lebanese food and it is soo amazing. Try it. I made friends with a girl from Canada and a guy from Jordan. They’re pretty cool.

Since being back I’ve moved to a real office and been given an avocado and a scarf. Yay Afghanland! 



Room Service :)







Afghanistan
From the air--this is what I breathe in everyday

Doc Holladay, Me, Edita, Sheryl
wearing our new scarves!




No comments:

Post a Comment